Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sleep. Like a Baby?


You know the drill. I hated summers as a kid. I hated being home with hateful parents. I hated being locked in my room all day. Not allowed to play outside, not allowed to have friends over, not allowed to watch tv, play with toys, listen to music. We couldn't even have a snack during the day, for crying out loud.

I really enjoy letting my babes, for the most part, call the shots during summer. If we have no where to be the next day, I let my oldest two stay up as late as they want. My youngest has a bed time, and as long as Hannah and Ian are playing quietly. I let them be. My two year old is very demanding. She's after the kids all day for some thing, wants their attention, she assumes they are wrapped around her finger. I am happy to let them have a break, with out her. Of course when school time roles around they're off to bed at an early hour. My feeling is let them play while they can. So much responsibility is around the corner. I love watching them be kids. I also love the time spent with them in the evening. Playing cards, watching tv, giggling, snuggling before bed. It, my friends, is priceless.........

Ian, especially is a bed hopper. He switches bunks often. He'll sleep on the floor. He'll sleep on the couch. Doesn't look all that comfortable, does it?


And, Friends.... now for the best part. I just got up. It's 10:00 am. Un heard of in my house, let me tell you. But. I put Olivia in my bed at 7am this morning to snuggle. She fell back asleep. I. Did. Not. Move. Except to take this picture.

So you tell me. Mommy wars are a bunch of bull shit. They really are. I have enjoyed you lovely women rallying around me in my choices as a mother. It's a beautiful thing when we can do that for each other, as women. The plain simple truth is that there is no right answer. We're not all created a like, and we all have different needs. I feel happy and content being a home body - not all women enjoy that. There ain't nothing wrong with that, either. For me, or for her. The differences in our souls are what makes us beautiful. Let's continue to embrace each other.

And. You guessed it. I also got a job with OPRAH, too.

Mmmmmmwwwwaaaaaaahahahahahahahahah!

12 comments:

just jamie said...

Okay wait, a job with Oprah? Huh? Do tell.

"The differences in our souls are what makes us beautiful." --Love that Misty!

Misty said...

Jamie. I love you.

I am JUST KIDDING. But didn't I just sound like Oprah?

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Beautifully said!

Thompson family said...

You never cease to amaze me Misty! Everytime I'm having a bad day, I'll come look at your blog and your words always help comfort me. I love you. Thanks for being you...
So....no job with Oprah, you'd be great and able to tell it like it is, which is sometimes what we women need!

utmommy said...

Love sleepy kid pictures! They are the best!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Oprah! You rock sister!

Congratulations and happy summer

:-)

Lara Neves said...

Amen.

You totally sounded like Oprah. But in a good way. :)

Linda said...

You really had me there for a minute...I was just about to ask for some explaining!

I used to let my kids stay up super late in the summer too...isn't that what summer is all about. Heck, little sis still stays up all night and then sleeps late...and why...cuz she's on summer break!

Bren's Life said...

What a Great momyou are.. Sleeping in until 10:00 am. Sounds Great. My little one will come in with me too & sleep until 9:00, but usually one of my other 3 are in my room saying - Mom are you gonna sleep all day! Little twirps!
My husband & you have a lot in common on your pasts...

Mandi said...

Hey Misty, Ive missed you!!!

I totally follow that same routine with my kids, during the holidays I end up going to bed before they do, but mine are older, then they sleep in until 10-11 but my kids have always done that, they love to sleep in, even as babies they never got up early - lucky me.

As for the job with Oprah - can I come, can I come, Id love to work with someone like that. I often read magazines (which I am sure are complete crap), saying that all she wants is someone to be honest with her, she doesnt think that her friends are honest sometimes, well hey babe, I will be your friend and I will be completely honest with you - if your butt looks big in those pants, that dress etc etc, I will tell you!!!

I have often joked about sending an email to Oprah saying I will happily be her "honest friend".

So my lovely friend, you have a wonderful relaxing weekend with those gorgeous sleeping children.

Luv - M......xxxxxxxxx

Christo Gonzales said...

thanks for stopping by....I am going to read a bit to catch up on things....I have a friend that works at O - oprahs magazine...

Ashley said...

Amen Sista! I really enjoy letting my kids play outside til dark in the Summer. (Most nights) That is when it has finally cooled off! My husband and I do our yard work and I enjoy hearing their laughter as we do so. We love the things that Summer brings!